Part of the  Enjuris™  Network

Houston truck accident and personal injury attorney Neal Davis; Texas personal injury law firm

No Fee Unless We Win.

Call today (713) 227-4444 No Recovery, No Fee

Texas Car Insurance Laws for Drivers

If you’ve been in an accident and have insurance questions or problems, let attorney Neal Davis help you through your case.

In order to legally operate a motor vehicle in the state of Texas, drivers are required to carry proper insurance and take responsibility for any accident they may cause.

Holding insurance is not only the law, but it’s also a basic responsibility for drivers. Being involved in an accident with a driver who doesn’t hold insurance, even if you do, can have its own set of headaches.

Learn more about Texas’ car insurance laws and how they affect the state’s motorists.

Texas Car Insurance Laws for Drivers

Insurance disputes can complicate cases.

Let attorney Neal Davis guide you over insurance hurdles. Contact us today.

Texas’ “Fault State” Status

State insurance laws are divided between fault and no-fault. The state of Texas is what is known as a “fault” insurance state, meaning that all drivers are to be held responsible, or “at fault,” for paying for the accidents they cause with their vehicles.

In fault insurance states, drivers are required to pay for the accident proportional to how much of the accident was his or her fault.

For example, if a driver is determined to have been 45% responsible for the accident, he or she must pay 45% of damages.

However, if any driver is determined to be 51% or more at fault for an accident, he or she forfeits the ability to recover any damages at all.

How Much Insurance You Need to Drive in Texas

In order to pay for any of the these damages, drivers must hold a certain amount of insurance coverage.

The exact amount of insurance you choose to buy is up to you; however, Texas does have a minimum amount required for its drivers. This minimum coverage is known as minimum liability insurance and it provides a minimum coverage of:

  • $30,000 per injured person in an accident (up to $60,000 total)
  • $25,000 for any property damage

This coverage is also known as 30/60/25 and can help pay for medical bills or property damage you may have suffered. Oftentimes, the actual cost of an accident may overreach your policy limits. If this is the case, you must cover the cost with other policies you may have or pay for the remaining damage out of pocket. Note that the state of Texas requires drivers to carry proof of at least 30/60/25 insurance coverage at all times while on the road.

Other Insurance Policies

While minimum liability coverage is all that is required to operate a vehicle in Texas, depending on your situation other insurance policies may also be required. For example, if you owe money on your car, you will be required by your loan provider to purchase collision and comprehensive coverage for your vehicle. Collision coverage covers the cost of repairing your car after a collision, while comprehensive coverage covers damages other than collisions.

You also have the option to purchase additional policies to cover towing, rental car issues, and specific medical bills. Additionally, personal injury protection (PIP coverage will cover medical expenses and compensate for a percentage of lost income from an injury. Insurance companies must give $2,500 in PIP coverage automatically, but drivers may deny the coverage or purchase more if they desire.

Whom Your Insurance Covers

Your minimum liability insurance coverage will also provide protection for other people, including:

  • Family members (anyone living in your home who is related either through blood, marriage, or adoption)
  • Anyone driving your car with permission from you
  • Family that is away attending school
  • Spouses that may be living elsewhere

For travel purposes, your insurance will remain in effect if you decide to rent a car. Your insurance should also cover you regardless of where you travel within the United States and Canada. It should be noted that Mexico does not accept United States liability.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage in Texas

The risk of being in an accident with a driver who is either uninsured or does not carry enough insurance to cover the accident is a real threat. You could be stuck paying the expenses yourself, even if the accident wasn’t your fault.

Luckily, there are certain insurance policies that can help protect you from such situations: uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM). These types of coverage will cover both medical expenses and property damage, and it’s required for insurance companies to offer it to customers.

Insurance can complicate a personal injury case very quickly, especially if one or more drivers do not possess adequate coverage. If you find yourself in this situation, don’t hesitate to contact Houston car accident attorney Neal Davis for help. We’re prepared to negotiate with insurance companies and help you receive all the compensation you may be due. If we don’t win, you don’t pay. That’s our No Fee Guarantee. Contact us today for a free consultation and let us guide you through the legal process.







Board Certified - Super Lawyers

TX Personal Injury Law