Houston Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Motorcycle accidents are life-altering events. They can leave you and your family devastated financially. Be sure to speak with an experienced Houston motorcycle accident attorney about your right to compensation for the accident. If we don't win, you don't pay. That's our No Fee Guarantee.
Hundreds of Houston residents take to their motorcycles daily for their transportation. As a result, Houston also sees its fair share of motorcycle accidents every year.
Motorcycle accidents are different from car accidents, and it can pay to contact an accident attorney who understands these differences. Not only are the injuries associated with motorcycle accidents more extreme, but the costs for those injuries and wrongful death damages are also likely to increase.
In addition, judges, law enforcement and other authority figures can respond differently due to unfair stereotypes toward bikers which can sometimes make winning a claim difficult.
Obtaining your share of compensation in an accident case like this requires an attorney who is familiar with the laws surrounding Texas motorcycle accident injury cases. Motorcycle accident attorney Neal Davis can provide you with the expertise and experience you need to be successful.
We specialize in helping those in Houston and the surrounding area who have become the victims of motorcycle accidents, and we believe in obtaining equal rights for motorcyclists within the legal system.
Let our Houston motorcycle accident attorneys fight for the compensation you deserve. Contact us today.
Texas Motorcycle Accident Statistics
According to the Texas Department of Transportation, 10,391 motorcyclists were involved in motorcycle accidents in 2012, and among those, 467 were killed. Here are a few more Texas motorcycle accident statistics:
- Motorcycles accounted for 1.2% of all vehicle accidents in 2012; however, the number of deaths from those accidents accounted for around 9.8% of all fatal traffic accidents in Texas that year.
- In Texas, around 50% of those seriously injured after a motorcycle accident were not wearing a helmet in 2012.
- Universal helmet laws require every motorcyclist to wear a helmet while on the road. Across the United States, motorcycle accident fatalities in states without universal helmet laws were 10 times more likely to occur than in states that have adopted such a law. Texas has yet to adopt a universal helmet law.
Learn More About...
Common Causes of Houston Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents in Houston are often caused by dangerous road conditions and drivers' unawareness. In addition, motorcycle accidents can easily be caused by the fault of either the motorcyclist or another motor vehicle driver. The most common causes for motorcycle accidents are as follows:
Disobeying Driving Laws
- Driving dangerously over the speed limit
- Switching lanes without checking blind spots
- Driving in another motorist's blind spot
- Failing to yield
- Dangerous alcohol or drug use
- Using a cell phone while on the road
- Driving while distracted
- Difficult driving weather such as heavy rain or snow
- Unforeseen road obstructions
- Sharp curves
What to do After a Motorcycle Accident
After a motorcycle accident, your mind is racing and it can be hard to focus on what's going on; however, knowing how to respond and what actions need to be taken in the seconds, minutes and hours that follow can greatly increase your chances of receiving compensation in the future.
1. Move away from the road to a safe location
2. Contact medical help for anyone injured
3. Call the police and report the accident
4. Take pictures of the accident and scene
5. Gather any witness statements and contact information
6. Contact your insurance company and let them know your situation
7. Contact a personal injury attorney who is familiar with motorcycle accident cases in your area
Statute of Limitations for Houston Motorcycle Accidents
Keep in mind that Texas law holds a strict statute of limitations on all motor vehicle accidents.
You must have filed a suit for your motorcycle accident no later than two years after the motorcycle accident occurred. This two-year deadline holds true for both personal injury claims and vehicle damage claims.
Liability for Motorcycle Accidents
After a motorcycle accident, many victims choose to seek compensation for their injuries in a personal injury claim.
It has been shown that motorcycle accident injuries and expenses tend to be 4 to 12 times higher than the typical auto accident.
This is mostly because the severity of motorcycle accident injuries are likely to be higher because a motorcycle is not enclosed.
Compensation is not only available for physical injury. Claims for lost work time and wages, as well as property damage, can also be obtained from a motorcycle injury settlement.
When it comes to motorcycle accident case liability, the injured party will most likely have to prove that the defendant was negligent in some way when the accident occurred.
Not only that, but it must also be proven that the negligent act was directly correlated to the injured party's injuries and claims to compensation.
Proving negligence can often be more difficult for motorcyclists than other drivers. This is because of preconceived notions that motorcycle drivers are more negligent, careless drivers, and this can sometimes play into a judge, jury, or insurance company's decision when it comes to awarding compensation. Often, this is used as an excuse to provide less compensation than deserved for injuries and losses.
Even if the defendant is proven to be responsible for the accident and injuries, the motorcyclist can also be held partially responsible if it is proven that he or she was also driving negligently at the time of the accident. This negligence can include not wearing a helmet, tailgating, etc. According to Texas motorcycle laws, the amount of compensation received goes up or down depending on the amount of negligence responsibility of both parties.
Contact a Houston Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one have been seriously injured in a motorcycle crash, you need to speak with a skilled personal injury attorney who specializes in motorcycle accident claims. Houston attorney Neal Davis has 20 years of experience handling accident cases. Contact us now to schedule your free consultation.